[Gpdd] Silly: Brownie Bear Stories Still Inspire! (also biting pig in AU)

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 02:00:00 EDT 2004

Hey Leah --
    Just when I thought it was again safe to read the antics of Brownie Bear
and the other piggies on the daily digest to the 3 Jolly Rodents, you
mentioned how that Sassy Little Girl of yours still sometimes communicates by biting!
    That started my guys all over again, making fierce, intimidating piggy
faces, looking at me to gauge effect. They're even trying to make a piggy purr
sound like a growl. They love the novel idea of guinea pigs being perceived as
ferocious. So they sure enjoy Brownie's stories. Always have.
    I've been telling them that as "jolly rodents" it's more their style to
take another pull or two on the ole water bottle and go rumblestrutting, arm
and arm, along the way, wheeking a few bars from tunes -- or tunes from bars.
(As in behind cage bars.)
    But no -- they want to be like Brownie Bear! Pigs with "attitude." I
suppose nothing will do now until I get out my "Beware, this house is protected by
killer guinea pigs," sign and post it on the door.
    They'll be wanting little motorcycle jackets next! And maybe a miniature
Harley parked in a corner of their play space? (I just heard one of them
snicker something about a Harley Hog, just the right kind of transportation for
footloose pigs.) But who knows, perhaps they'll be happy just looking menacing
for the next few days until they slip back into their customary jolly selves
personalities.
    Mr. Cooders, by the way, doesn't want to be seen as too much of a
rapscallion. He doesn't want Miss Cally to think he's walking on the wild side, but
does want her to be impressed with his piggy "snarl" should he ever have
occasion to demonstrate it in her presence.

All kinds of wheeking cheers to you and Brownie Bear and all others,

Alge and the Three Jolly Rodents
PS -- A few months ago they were astounded by the story of the pig hanging on
to his own's finger by its teeth. Remember that one? As I read that account
to them, they were running around in circles, popcorn jumping, wheeeking wildly
in what I assume was hilarity. He did write a tremendously funny story from
what must have been a very unsettling misadventure.
    Another PS -- What if the hamster knows Brownie's a guinea pig?  ;)  (And
a famous one at that.)

To Li  in Australia --
    Your baby pig may simply be frightened and biting is a fear reaction. My
"Sweet Little Wilson" (ahem!) used to grab around with his feet, legs, teeth,
anything, when he felt afraid, and that was fairly often. Someone, after
asking me how many stitches it took to close my wounds, (the answer was none) said
that I wasn't really being bitten then, just "nipped."  (Ouch! He used to
"nip" me up around the neck, too. That really hurt! All that is a thing of the
distant past, however.)
    He may need more of an enclosure for now until he gets used to being
handled. Also, "piggy pouches" worked well with my pigs when they didn't want to
be picked up. I'd put the pouch in front of one of them (they're like a fabric
paper bag with fleece lining -- fake fleece!  ;)  and the g-pig would climb
in. It resulted in a safe, secure feeling lift.
    My guys still sometimes like to sit on my lap in their pouches --
sticking their heads out.
    You might put a goodly amount of hay in your piggy's cage or house --
young ones can semi hide in it and yet be able to interact. You can even (if you
dare, at this point) put food in your hand and hold it in there for the little
guy to nibble.

Good luck,
Alge