[Gpdd] CARE - millet & portable cages

Chris Boortz chris.boortz at cox.net
Tue Aug 3 15:18:41 EDT 2004

This is my first post, but I wanted to ask a question and share an
idea. First the question: Is it okay to give GPs millet? They are
usually sold for birds but can also be fed to some small animals. I saw
some in the GP cages at Petco, but of course that doesn't guarantee
anything!

My idea is in response to the questions about where to get portable
enclosures to take your piggies outside. I used some of the extra
panels I had left over after making my C & C cage to make a collapsable
"playpen." I linked 8 of them together by fastening the sides with
cable ties. It folds down accordion style when not in use. When I use
it I position the linked cubes in a circle and close it off by clipping
the ends together with clothes pins or binder clips. I've actually made
two sets of 8 panels each - I can use both of them together to make an
extra large play area. This is A LOT cheaper than buying one of the
collapsable playpens I've seen in pet stores.

Chris Boortz
Slave to Paisley & Claire