[Gpdd] HEALTH - Howie update

Sarah semitchll at netzero.net
Wed Feb 11 11:03:57 EST 2004

First I would like to thank all of you that have responded to me about Howie. If I haven't replied personally I will. He still won't eat much on his own. I have been syringe feeding him a pellet mash (pellets, water, a little banana, and some plain yogurt). Occasionally he nibbles on some endive or green lettuce. He will not eat his pellets or the hay. He won't even drink from the water bottle my himself. If I hold him and put the water bottle up to him he will drink. I am not sure why. The good news is we have some poo. Granted there isn't much and it is soft, but some is better than none!

Howie went into the regular vet yesterday. The vet couldn't find any lumps or blockages and he is not bloated and gassy. Also, his teeth (front and molars look fine). We are going to try some different baby foods and see if he will eat those more readily. He is taking tribrissen and I am giving him bene-bac. He is doing surprisingly well considering. He is my old grumpy pig. He has never really liked me much. He prefers to be left alone. Needless to say he is not happy. I have had him separated from his cage mate Squeakers since I noticed he was sick. Howie seems to be fine with that. Maybe this experience will make him less grouchy.  I brought him into work with me so I can feed him every so often and keep and eye him. I keep checking for poos. I trust that most of you all here will understand getting excited of poo. :)

I do have another question concerning Howie. When I first noticed Howie wasn't feeling well also noticed that one of his testicles was very hard and seemed tender. Has anyone else had this experience? My vet seems rather concerned about it. Once Howie is doing better we are going to address that issue.

Sorry about the length of this post. Thank to everyone and healing wheeks to sick piggies.

Sarah and the whole gang
Howie, Rocket, Milo, Squeakers, Spicey, Patches, Lil' Spice, Pumpkin
and Emma the rat, Brother and Sister kitty, Fish and Frog