[Gpdd] HEALTH syringe feeding update

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 15:33:33 EST 2004

Niles's mommy, Heather, came to visit. (I'm just fostering the
incredibly cute little squeaker.) After lots of visits and cuddles and
a little peeing on Heather, I grabbed him up in a towel (in case there
was to be more peeing), set him on my lap, thought of your encouraging
words, firmly held his head and put the syringe in the side of his
mouth. He looked surprised and disgruntled, but took the first
syringeful. I refilled, took his head again and we did it again! He
tried to protest by chewing the syringe, but that just seemed to make
things easier. From the look on his face, he felt cheated but everyone
survived four or five syringefuls, after which I declared victory since
almost all the medication slurry was in Niles and nobody was wearing
any. From today's snuggles it appears there are no hard feelings.

I'm using a 1ml syringe to feed a slurry of one crushed shilintong
tablet and water. The thicker the slurry, the fewer syringefuls, so I'm
working on how thick we can go.

Thank you all for your help. We can do this!

-ginger
with warm Niles leaning on left arm, so typos are his fault :-)