[Gpdd] HEALTH [itching]

Louise August laugust at umich.edu
Fri Feb 20 12:00:30 EST 2004

Reporting a triumphal success over the itchy skin demon!

I noticed that Phineas, Delilah, and Mostly, each had patches of barbered
fur in the middle of their backs. The skin there was dry and flaky and just
looked terribly itchy. I watched for a while but didn't see any of the pigs
over-grooming the afflicted ones, but they sure were grooming themselves
vigorously - which I'm guessing is what lead to the chewed off hair.

Someone on the GPDD recently mentioned Peter Gurney's herbal remedy as an
alternative to costly trips to the vet and medications. Since itchy skin
didn't seem life threatening, I was willing to try a home cure before
setting off for the vet with at least three of the pigs.

Here's the specific Gurney page: http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm

I used the tea tree, lemon grass, patchouli, and lavender combination in
sweet almond oil as the carrier (I didn't use the neem oil). I found
everything I needed at the local health food store for about $35 dollars -
cheap compared to the time and cost of even one vet visit. And I now have a
lifetime supply of the stuff in case it ever reappears.

I convinced the pigs that their warm oil massages and bubbly shampoos were
beauty treatments to be found only at the most elegant and luxurious spas.
They loved the massage and the oil combo smells fabulous - never had such
fragrant pigs! Phineas didn't seem to care, but Delilah and Mostly stomped
around and fussed a lot while the oil was in their fur for 24 hours. They
looked all spiky like little hedgehogs - hah! They weren't nearly as amused
as we were. They weren't very pleased with the shampooing part either, but
were bought off pretty easily with quantities of parsley and carrot treats.

It was a complete success. Ten days later they all have smooth clean skin
and shiny fur. It'll take a while for the hair to grow back in.

Love from all of us,
Louise and her masters, Phineas, Delilah, Hillary, Pandora, Mostly,
Neville, and Mr. Norman, the rat