[Gpdd] Health: Re: Vet Costs

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 09:06:38 EST 2004

Hi Lauren, Piglet, and Pooh Bear!
My Brownie Bear was spayed last month so
here's a breakdown of my Vet costs:
The initial Vet Exam was $38, the x-rays
were $58, and the urinalysis was $32.

Then, on the actual day of surgery,
the spay was $100, the anestesia was $26,
the Baytril injection was $22. The Baytril
prescription (that I brought home) was $16, the
Torbugesic injection (for pain) was $16,
the Metacam (pain medication) was $18,
and I bought 2 Oxbow Critical Care pouches for
$20. My Bear also had bladder stones, so her
bladder stone surgery was another $100,
and the stone analysis was $60.

Total Damage: $506

By the way, I live in Virginia (USA).
Hopefully, this gives ya an idea of what
the surgeries could cost. Oh, and I realize
you wouldn't have a lot of the extra stuff like
the urinalysis, bladder stone analysis, etc.
I just wanted to include everything just in
case another Slave wanted to know.

Have a Nice Wheeeeeeeeeeeeek!!

     Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeps,
        Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)

Piglet and Pooh Bear just got their spay/neuters
scheduled. I decided I want them to live together, to
save me space and allow them more room to run around.
The vet I chose has done GP spay/neuters for about
twenty years, and he says the risk is low. He also
said the operation on my female, Piglet, would reduce
the likelihood of breast cancer, and make her less
aggressive toward her bro. However, the total cost
estimate for the operations is over $400! Some of the
cost is for optional pain medication and the safer
option of laser surgery, which I chose because I
want the least risk for my piggies. But being a
student working for minimum wage, this is gonna put me
out for a couple weeks! Does anyone else have
experience with spay/neuter who could tell me what
they paid? I want the best for my piggies, but I also
want to pay my bills!

Thanks,
Lauren, Piglet, and Pooh Bear