[Gpdd] Re: (Health) Immaculate Conception

Brad Ellis ellis_chiphi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 15:30:55 EST 2004

Lisa,

While I respect the fact that you and your breeder friends are of the opinion that female guinea pigs cannot store fertilized eggs I need to let you know two things:

1) The second batch was born two months after the first batch almost to a day. Guinea pigs gestate for approximately sixty days. Therefore, unless the second batch only went half term, her first batch of offspiring could not have impreganted her as male guinea pigs are not born able to reproduce and develop that ability at around three to four weeks.

2) I am friends with a show-pig breeder who has had the same thing happen to her and has seen the same thing in other cases. You know people who say it can't happen... I know people who have seen it done... Whose friends are right?

Now, if I'm not mistaken there are other small animals, especially in the rodent family, who store fertilized eggs during periods of hardship wherein the entire litter might not survive. Also, I'm hesitant to call anything impossible when there are animals that can change their sex because of necessity.

In the future, I would recommend that you state what you have to say as an opinion rather than as fact. In this case at least you are most definitely wrong and you stand on unsteady ground since you make assertions that you can by no means back up. If you have questions rather than accusations please feel free to get back to me.
Respectfully,

Brad
Friend to Silent Bob, Muse, and Oreo
remembering Frederick and Lady Jay