[Gpdd] breeding: pregnancy

Jenni jenni at beethoven.com
Sat Jan 17 14:23:27 EST 2004

Wheeks!!!  Well, the pregnancy issue seems to be getting a little heated, so
I've looked up info in my books which solves the riddle.  I only have a
boar, whew!

from Peter Gurney's "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs" 2nd edition, pg. 19 :

"Superfetation
...It is possible for the sow to carry foetuses from two separate
fertilization events occuring at different oestruses ('coming in to
season').  In most cases a second fertile mating occurs at the subsequent
oestrus; however, in several cases sows have produced two litters 35 days
apart (the second litter being produced from fertilized ova shed two oestrus
cycles later).  THE UTERUS HAS TWO SEPARATE HORNS AND EACH LITTER IS CARRIED
IN A DIFFERENT HORN.  It is quite possible for both litters to be reared
successfully."      yea!!!!!

I learned in my anatomy & physiology class that cats have the 2 horns also,
unlike one uterus that humans have.  That's why they can have so many
kittens in so little time.  Soooo, I wondered if that was the case with GP
sows, and  VOILA!  Lenny, the Lion, you should be so proud of your assistant
nurse...And Beethoven had better only visit "safe" piggy
girlfriends...unless under CLOSE supervision!!!  (he's doing some grumbling
to that!)           Love & wheeks!! -- Jenni (slave to Beethoven)
(and thanks to the great Peter Gurney)