[Gpdd] (Housing): Free-range question

Brad Ellis ellis_chiphi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 15:41:09 EST 2004

Hi all,

I live in central New York;  it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.  So I can't have an outdoor enclosure or cage.  (I'd always be too worried about my babies' health). I have seen that a lot of people let their guinea pigs run around the house.  My question is:  How do you manage that?  My guinea pigs scurry for the first thing that they can find when I set them on the floor and they're not too good about finding a safe hiding place either.  They get into some dangerous situations.  I also worry about them ingesting a dust bunny  (I keep my house very clean, but I'm bound to miss something now and then)  or even worse, chewing on an electric cord!  I'd love to have my G.P.s out all the time.  Am I being over-protective?  Is there a way to "pig-proof" a house or room?  How do I keep my boar from mating with my two sows?  (I have not neutered him and I don't see that happening unless absolutely necessary).  Any help would be appreciated.

Brad,

Friend to Silent Bob, Muse, and Oreo

Remembering Frederick and Lady Jay