[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: dogs

rmalsberg at comcast.net rmalsberg at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 17:46:59 EST 2004

Hello everyone and everypig:

Just my $0.02 on dogs........

When my boyfriend's son and daughter in law visit, they bring along their boxer, Sasha.  (I think it's a little odd to bring your dog to visit, but I'm not a dog lover - my boyfriend is fond of Sasha, and likes seeing her.)

Naturally, Sasha always heads into the bedroom to check out "tha piggz" after determining that nothing is on offer in the kitchen.  She sits in front of the cage (which sits on an aquarium table and is open at the top, since there's usually no reason not to have it open) and stares at them fixedly.  Of course, this makes them nervous.  Knowing what I know from reading the digest (thanks to all who share their stories!), I immediately shoo her out and shut the bedroom door.  The kids insist that Sasha would never hurt the piggies, my boyfriend laments that Sasha's feelings might be hurt by the closed door and, thus, loss of entertainment (!!!), and even I think that an attack is not likely, but my attitude is, why take the chance?  It's the nature of the dog to be predatory, just like it's the nature of the piggies to be fearful.

Just sticking my oar in - thanks for reading.

Rayna, Sundae and Tosca (We do NOT trust that big dog!) and Taffy in mem