[Gpdd] [CARE] multi storey hutches update

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 15:33:25 EST 2004

Hi All

I posted a few days ago asking if anyone had experience of keeping their gps in a multi storey hutch.  Thanks to those who have responded, its useful to see the creativity of other fellow slaves.

I have given up on buying a ready made hutch as they all seem to be designed for rabbits and the ramps look too steep.  I have now received a willing (substitute for twisted arm) volunteer who says if I can give him the dimensions and plans he will have a go at building a multi storey set up for me.

The question I have is on dimensions.  I have limited length and width, I can go to 48 inches long, with a width of 18-20 inches. Thats the room I have available in my house.  The question is height between floors. Most of the commercial hutches are too high between floors making the ramps too steep for the gps to get up.  How much height do you think is advisable between floors?

I currently have a proper single storey hutch indoors which I find is rather dark indoors.  Since it is indoors they don't need the overly solid wood construction and waterproof roof so I was toying with the idea of having the sides and back made of a perspex material to let in the light, and maybe the roof too?

I am fishing for ideas so if you have pictures I can look at of made at home for indoors multi storey hutches please send me a link. I have found a great one at http://www.piggillett.co.uk/information.html, is this anyone on this site as I would love further details on the dimension you used to build it.

Thanks once again, I want to get it right so my 4 girls can be happy but safe.

Beki
Daphie, Faith, Hope and Charity