[Gpdd] [CARE] Rabbits and guinea pigs housed together

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 10:33:42 EST 2004

Hopefully, Judi, you will have received posts off-list on this subject, but I
thought I'd post to the digest so other people could read my reply. I, like
you, was under the impression that rabbits made perfect partners for guinea
pigs - I had read as much in a French book on guinea pig care, and to me it
seemed the perfect solution to having a lone guinea pig. I didn't want a breeding
pair because I didn't want loads and loads of guinea pigs (OK, so I now have
13, but that's another story!) so I bought a male dwarf bunny to share a cage
with my lone male, Bâfreur.

I was lucky, in that they didn't fight and seemed to get on well together -
the guinea pig was fully grown and the rabbit just a youngster when they were
first introduced. But then when I started researching rabbits on the Internet,
I read time and time again that one should NEVER house rabbits and guinea pigs
together. From what I understand, the reasons are threefold:

1/ They have different food requirements, in that the guinea pig needs a lot
more extra Vitamin C, therefore they cannot really share the same food dish

2/ There are diseases which can be carried virtually symptomless by one
species yet prove fatal to the other; for instance, I believe Bordatella bacteria
can live in rabbit nasal passages and cause very little trouble, but if
transmitted to guinea pigs they cause pneumonia, which is often fatal

3/ Rabbits can kill guinea pigs with one kick of their very strong back legs.
I now have an unspayed female rabbit living with the male one that used to
live with the guinea pig, and she is definately the "boss" rabbit; she will
mount the head of the male (who has been castrated) and will sometimes pull fur
from his neck - although I have to say, they are friends most of the time and
snuggle together to sleep and so on; she just likes to remind him from time to
time who is boss! Rabbits are far more pugnacious creatures than our dear,
gentle piggies, and I really don't feel it is fair to subject the piggies to this
kind of abuse - let alone safe. You don't mention the age of the female bunny,
but if she is around 6 months, her hormones will be "kicking in" and she will
become more aggressive from now on!

So if I were you, I would get the rabbit spayed, then go along to your local
rabbit rescue and let her choose herself a mate; and maybe you could have the
guinea pig castrated, so he could have a guinea pig mate? Please don't put
them back in together!

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Debbie and the Dolly Mixtures