[Gpdd] CARE: Bedding

nancy.mckenna at cox.net nancy.mckenna at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 13:33:15 EST 2004

I have five boars that are mostly free roaming, but they love the corner I fixed up for them.  Here is the routing for their bedding:

1.  I lay down big bath towles on the floor
2.  I Lay down lots of newspapers on top of that
3.  I heap put lots of Timmothy Hay on top of that.

They love to snuggle in the hay and eat it too.  The newspaper is actually absorbent and dries pretty good.  When they get to the newspaper they love to rip it.  Most nights I dump more hay on top for them to "keep busy" and stop bugging each other.  Lots of hay always calms them down.

Once a week I roll up the newspapers on one big roll with all the poo and hay and take it out to the dumpster.  The towles go straight into the washer and the tile floor gets mopped with vinegar and water, then a final water rinse.  I let them play outside while I re-make their nest.

Hope this helps.  (P.S.  I buy Timmothy hay by the bale ($17.50 for 100pounds and keep it in a metal storage shed outside.)