[Gpdd] [CARE]Biting the cage

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 12:24:07 EST 2004

Hi Sarah:

I am not sure what to tell you about cage biting.  My Tom also does  it, but
mainly just when I am showing the others attention and not him.  I  have tried
the following and so far it seems to be working:  I purchased a  hanging bird
toy that clips to the cage.  It is stacked with colorful wood  pieces and has
a bell on the end.  I have started to gently ring the bell  and then follow
up with putting a treat (hay or carrot) in the cage.  At  first he and Huck
"freaked" and ran in their hut when they heard the bell.   Yesterday, Tom would
run up to the toy, look at it and run away.  Then last  night while I was
watching the news, I heard the bell ring!  I immediately  praised him and gave them
both a treat.  So far, since he has had this  distraction, the cage biting
has stopped.  Hope this idea helps.
Donna (Tom, Huck, G.I. Joe, and Spike)