[Gpdd] HEALTH: Lost Wheek Re: Gpdd Digest, Vol 3, Issue 347

Pam Bowyer petra-nef at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 13 14:06:09 EST 2004

         Marilyn,

         I wanted to let you know that I had a pig with that problem too. I
took her to the vet's over and over again, and they had never heard of such
a thing. We all thought that it wasn't serious. However, she was also
losing weight over the period of about six months when she had no wheek,
even though she was eating normally. And then in the space of less than 12
hours she suddenly became seriously ill and then died. The vet never had
any idea what was wrong. He did, however, have some suggestions as to what
we could have done to investigate her lost wheek further: he suggested that
they do a throat endoscopy under anesthesia and see if they could find
something that may have been impinging on her trachea, such as an abscess,
a cyst, cancer, or a foreign body of some type. An x-ray also could have
been useful. They have heard of such things happening in cats,  where a
hyper-thyroid condition might have been to blame, but they have no data on
that in guinea pigs. I have also heard that it may signal some sort of
congestive heart failure, although that data is also unconfirmed.

         So, I don't mean to alarm you, but it very well be a more serious
issue than we all thought, and I would suggest getting it looked at by your
vet as soon as possible! And please do let us know what, if anything, they
find. I would really like to have an explanation for what happened to my
piggie.

Pam