[Gpdd] Care: New Guinea Pig

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 23:52:25 EDT 2004

Eating is crucial but the first night that I had a then very tiny Charlie and
Chester they were so timid and frightened being away from the surroundings
they'd known. I made them a little house out of a  small medicine box (with the
front  (and bottom) open and they just huddled in there. I put romaine,
spinach leaves, bits of banana, etc with them as well as pellets and water. Nothing.
The next day (I did have them in a room alone lest the cat terrorize them) I
reluctantly removed the box. Without being able to hide and huddle there they
ventured out very reluctantly and  began eating -- then more and more during
that day and the next day. I gave them a cuddle up and instead of curling up in
it they tunneled under it and it would move around like a hover craft for
weeks.
       Do see that your piggy eats something -- green pepper, a bit of apple,
banana -- can you find out what he/she was eating before??? Is there still
fresh (untreated) grass you can offer him? Any nice dandelion greens left?
       Alge and the jolly Rodents