[Gpdd] Behavior: clipping nails and cleaning ears

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Sun Oct 31 09:58:59 EST 2004

Britt & "Pumpkin Pig",

     You can train your pig to have his nails clipped and his ears cleaned with no problem but it requires a little work and consistancy. I believe that all animals are trainable if you employ certain principles. I have used these principles on horses, dogs and guinea pigs and they are foolproof.
     First you have to define your goal (in this case the goals are obvious: clipping and cleaning). Then you have to outline in your mind baby steps towards those goals. If you start by expecting your animal to be at the goal you're doomed to failure. I'll try to illustrate with an example but your steps have to be designed with your own pig in mind.

     Bud wouldn't let me touch his feet or ears when I first got him. I began touching his side as close to his feet as I could get for just a split second and removing my hand before he had a chance to react. "Oh," Bud thinks, "she isn't trying to kill me, just touch my side for a split second. That's ok." Then I hold my finger at that spot for two split seconds and immediately take it away. I try to do what I want and reward him for not reacting poorly before he has a chance. The reward is removing your hand. Gradually I move closer to the feet and hold longer. I did this EVERY time I held him or pet him in his cage many times. Each touch is a new training lesson and each foot or ear is a completely new project as they can't translate this foot ok so that foot is also ok. You can have a hundred lessons in one session of holding your piggie in front of the TV for a half hour.
     You would be surprised at how quickly they learn and it also becomes fun for you as you see progress. If they rebel against the closer or longer touch, just retreat back to what they accept and begin again.
     I can now hold Bud easily on my lap and clip all nails and, if I want to clip some a bit more because I didn't take enough off the first time, that's ok. The ears, same deal. Touch close, immediately take your finger away. Etc. Another good idea is to always have the q-tips and clippers around when you hold them. Rub them and pet them with the equipment so they don't just associate the tools with the procedure. Use your imagination but always remember, don't start with the goal. Start with the baby steps and make it fun for you both. Your pig doesn't want to be afraid any more than you would and it's part of your responsibility to teach them that they don't have to be stressed and afraid.
     Good luck and let me know if this helps.

Carla and Bud