[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mites

Shelly Atkinson satkinson at rkci.com
Mon Sep 20 13:40:37 EDT 2004

When I first got Reba about 2 months ago she seemed healthy and a week
after that I saw a dry path of skin on her. I watched it daily and it
was going away so I was happy about that. A week ago I was cleaning the
pvc tunnels she plays in that are in her enclosure and there were a few
little black mites, they really stand out on white tunnels. I looked at
Reba and did not see any mites on her fur and her skin looked fine
except for the path of skin behind one of her ears. I called my vet and
he told me to use baby oil to put in her ears to drown the mites. I did
that and cleaned her enclosure well, she does not seem to scratch and
they must be coming from her ears since I don't see the mites on her. I
know I will have to go to the vet if it does not clear up, I am not
going to wait for it to get bad, but I was wondering if baby oil can get
rid of the mites, I read that you have to go to the vet to get a shot to
get rid of them, I am just wondering on that. I also read that the mites
are species related and your other animals are safe. I have 5 dogs and
the last thing I want are mites all over the place.

Shelly Atkinson