[Gpdd] Misc: Piggie Prayers

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 13:42:19 EDT 2005

As before, there are far too many ailing piggies, and too many gone to
the Bridge too soon. Our prayers go out to all our piggie friends.
Also, after reading the latest digest, we have to send a few comments . . .

Gemma - We were sad to hear about your bunny, but glad your dear
piggie got to come and live in your room. Even with the chins for
company, I'm sure he is still sad. They do say getting them a young
companion does seem to help (the younger ones don't seem to be
a threat to them), and if you can find one similar in looks they seem
to accept them better (not a hard and fast rule). Though you will be
hard pressed to find any age piggie with long ears and a lion's mane!
Are there any rescues or shelters in your area? I'm sure you will know
the right one when you see him. Let us know how it goes.

Carla - Very good point, something we should all keep in mind. I've
often thought about that myself. Some of the OP's pens are on the
floor, in front of the others, and I have to step in one to reach another.
They never seem to mind (seems to be The Hand they fear!), and
last night, as I stepped into Potsy's yard to check on Rosie and
Lil' Whistle, Potsy started chattering at me. They had already been
fed, had their hay and water for the night.  He wouldn't stop, so
I picked him up and talked to him for a few minutes. When I put
him back, I gave him a bit more hay and he was happy.Silly boy!

Marie - I must have missed something - what was your reply
"Rescue - or at least an attempt"   referring to?

Hunter - We are so sorry to hear of all the loss you and your
mommy Raina have had to endure lately. That is certainly more
than anyone should have to endure. But she is very fortunate
to have such a wonderful little piggy to help her through it.
Please give her a big hug from us.

Rayna - There are no words that will help, I know. We were so
very sad to hear that dear Sundae has gone to the Bridge.
Still, what a blessing that she lived so long, and then was happy
til the end, not suffering as so many do. Everyone should be so
lucky!  Give Tosca a big hug for us.

Katie - We loved reading about your trip with Scamper - that's my
kind of trip!  (tho' it would be hard for me to smuggle in as many
pigs as I usually travel with!)  It reminded me of a story a boy told
me recently - their family raises and shows rabbits and cavies,
and they had gone to Las Vegas, buying a baby cavy while there.
He was bottle feeding it, so kept it with him, sticking it in his
jacket pocket when they went into a restaurant. He was collecting
fresh veggies at the buffet, hand in pocket and resulting wheeking,
when a passing waitress asked him what that noise was. If he had
just said "oh, excuse me" and sat down, she might have gone on.
But he didn't, he pulled the darling baby out to show her. Apparently
she wasn't as impressed, they were all invited to leave!
(Note to all:  Keep your piggies hidden under the table!)  I keep
ziplock bags in my purse for those nice fruit and veggie leftovers.
Also - did you know that the Merck Vet. Manual is available online?
It may be the previous issue, but excellent information. And it's free,
for anyone not wanting to fork out the $45. A friend of mine had just
discovered that, then someone gave her the book!
As for the safe foods v.s. foods to avoid - the Guinea Pig Shopping List
is great for that.  If anyone needs it, let me know, I have it saved in
my Guinea Pig Information/Health file.
Love those songs!  Some I've seen. We definitely need to make this
a joint effort and get a collection. I'm working on getting ours written down

Debbie - Sorry to hear Popcorn is having such difficulties - you are lucky
to have discovered the source of the problem. We will certainly keep
him (and you) in our Piggie Prayers, especially for his surgery Thursday.
Healing piggie hugs'n'kisses from the OP's

Leah - You are just so lucky!  How do you keep meeting all these piggies
and their slaves?  Be sure to let us know when you are going to be in
our area!

Other notes - We should all learn from Raina's sad experience with her
kitty.  While we all grew up trusting Hartz Mountain, there are now
better and safer products available, like Frontline. They make cost a
bit more, but they work!  I don't know how much I spent in the past
on flea problems on cats and dogs, never getting rid of them, til I
discovered the secret.

Also, Rosie reminded me that she is not the only caregiver piggie, and
there are many more out there with the talent. She suggested someone
starting a nursing school for piggies, if there is not already one. (she
felt there must be one already somewhere in the UK, but not sure)

Sorry to take up so much digest space today, just a lot to comment on!
Back to tending to the pigs! And our special patient, LW. Thanks to
those who have written to send get well wishes his way - all are so
greatly appreciated.

Piggie hugs'n'kisses,
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy & CocoPuff, Rosie & Lil' Whistle
Buzzerre & Potsy and Family {Spanky, Darla, Petey, Les Paul & Scooter}
Curly T. Bear, Bullett & Baby Dash
Bonnie & Mac da Roanie and Family {Baby Conan, Rusty, R.J. & Ginger}
Buster, Harley Pigg, Mr. Dash, and the Boys from Peru, Moose & Jasper

...remembering Primoz, Lil Whisper, Hotshot, Lady Bugg and Babies,
    NalaBunny, and Domino Kitty at the Bridge

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com