[Gpdd] HEALTH...Taking piggies to vet in Winter

James Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Thu Feb 24 15:17:12 EST 2005

Stephanie,

When I take my piggies to the vet I use a large wicker basket with a loop
handle on top.....it is similar to what you see in stores around Easter
time.  I line the basket with a large bath towel, put the piggie in the
basket and then fold the edges of the towel over the piggie and basket.
They stay warm and are secure because they are all tucked in and it is
dark so they don't seem to be afraid.

When I get to the examining room I lift the towel and piggie out at the
same time and place it on the table so the piggie is sitting on his/her
own blanket and not on a cold stainless steel table.

Also, I am fortunate that I live in the country so when I am taking a
piggie to the vet, I back the car out of the garage and let it warm up
for a few minutes.  Taking a guinea pig from a warm house to a cold car
would not be good; let the car warm up first.

Jim.......Sassy Suzy, Ginger, and Olivia