[Gpdd] CARE - bedding and potty training

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Thu Jan 13 15:46:09 EST 2005

PJ and Rodney,

     I'm sure guinea pigs can be potty trained. In Bud's regular cage he usually goes mainly in a couple spots but when I put him in his 4x6 C & C playpen each afternoon for five hours he uses two litter boxes exclusively. I have a tarp covered with an old sheet on the floor and in the area I have two litter boxes filled with the same bedding he has in his cage plus all the hay he could possibly eat. He hops into the litter boxes to eat or go to the bathroom or both at the same time.  :) I didn't do anything special to train him. He's ten months old now and he gradually just started doing this on his own. At first he was going everywhere and I despaired of the potty training but now he never messes! What I think made the big difference was having the food in the litter boxes with the bedding he was used to in his cage. That seemed to encourage him to go into the litter boxes to do more than just investigate it for a moment or two. I got two cheap cat litter boxes at Wal-Mart and they work well.

     I started out using dried pine shavings, Carefresh and aspen shavings but now, at my vet's suggestion, I'm using shredded newspaper. I didn't think I'd like it but I love it and so does Bud! We get a daily paper so I always have a big supply at no extra cost. You can get really cheap shredders at places like Wal-Mart and then it's just a matter of putting in the effort of shredding. If I do need extra papers I have friends and family members who save them for me. I still use Carefresh when I travel with Bud but that's just for convenience.

     Don't worry about Rodney loving you. Bud was slow to get affectionate with me. I had him close to four months before he jumped on my lap the first time and then it was two weeks before he would do it again. Now he loves me and is jumping up and down continually. It just takes time to gain first their trust, and then their love. You'll treasure it more because you'll know you earned the love.
     I'm sorry this is so long but you sounded like you needed a friend. There are many people who care about you even if we've never met.

Carla and Friendly Bud