[Gpdd] Health:mites

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 13:55:11 EST 2005

Hi Lisa,

I think that you may be right about the mange mites and how they can
overcome an animal with a weakened immune system. Many years ago we had a
dog that kept getting the mange. No matter what we did to try to cure his
condition it would only get a little better...some hair would grow back but
not all. This poor guy finally lost all but a few sparse hairs. He was
certainly a sad sight. My father wouldn't give up though, and kept trying
everything he could to help this dog...to no avail.
One morning we woke to  find that he had passed away during the night. My
father said that in all his years of owning dogs he had never come across a
case of mange that just wouldn't clear up. I think this could have been the
case with little Gracie. It makes you wonder if maybe there was some other
underlying problem, because, as you said, a normallly functioning immune
system can usually keep the mites, and other opportunistic parasites,under
control.

Best Wishes,

Sherry and the piggie pals