[Gpdd] Health: Letter to the Med School at U of Pa

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 8 10:51:38 EDT 2005

Here's a copy of what I sent to U of Pa, Med school
(not that it will get anywhere, but maybe if enough of us
write to enough people who are issuing these notices,
they will take us into consideration; might even gain us
some publicity)

As a member of several groups and organizations committed to the care
and enjoyment of cavies (guinea pigs), we are concerned that all the current
buzz about some illnesses contracted by children with these small pets
(hamsters, gerbils, rats & mice, etc), will cause needless panic among
the general public. We already see way too much neglect and abuse of
these small animals, as when someone simply loses interest in the
animal(s) they have taken in. We are not a group of extremists or nut cases,
mostly adults, mothers, teachers, etc. who are concerned that undue
panic and overreaction will occur from these stories.
One concern we have is that attention is given to a few children who have
contracted diarrhea after getting pet mice, etc. That is regretful. However,
what about the thousands of children who have contracted diarrhea after
a visit to a playground, daycare, McDonalds (ex.), or a friend's house?
Bottomline, what you need to be communicating is hygiene, not a witch
hunt for 'dangerous animals', which is how many are going to interpret this.
Please consider the repercutions of these incomplete announcements and
warnings - please tell the rest of the story.
We are spreading the word as best we can - stressing hygiene, not
elimination of these pets.
Thank you for listening and sharing this view in your community.
Susi Eastin
Green Country Cavy Club
Guinea Pig Daily Digest
Guinea Pig Society

“God could not be everywhere at once, so he gave each child a mother.” - Hasidic saying

“An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest.” - Spanish proverb

“Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” - Lin Yü-tang