[Gpdd] Misc: PigsFeet and Noses and such

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 14 13:25:28 EDT 2005

Sam- Are you speaking of the callouses some piggies get? See Peter Gurney's
site for pics and discussion. As far as I can tell they only pose a threat if they
catch on something and are torn off. CP had these a couple times, vet just
trimmed them off (I'm sure I could have, but I was chicken!).
Carla - Up until now I had always picked grass and clover, etc, freely, just trying
to avoid obvious contamination. After Hotshot got sick and we at first suspected
a bit of contaminated clover, I have been afraid to give it to them. Now I have
started washing it in the sink, and it does make a mess. I'll try the salad spinner,
thanks for the suggestion. But I just let their stuff (grass, lettuce, etc) just kind
of drip dry and give to them with a bit of moisture still on it. They love it that
way, and it just adds to their water intake (I do set it on a plate or dish to keep
from making their floor wet).
As for the 'grape' comparison - I'd say it depends on the pig! Snowy is such a
big girl, hers' is probably more like a plum! (based on actual experience from
her sitting on my lap!) HarleyPigg, on the other hand, is more the grape size.
The other day he was sitting on my lap at the computer, enjoying pigtures of
friends and family, and I didn't recognize his shy warnings. Suddenly I felt
very warm under him - and had to go change. It looked more like I had done it
myself!  I may go back to keeping a folded towel handy for lap time.
Jan- Welcome to Zathras! His full name could be Prince Zathras (as opposed
to his previous handle, Elvis the King!). Buzzerre loves to sit atop their pigloo
when she's not relaxing in her hammock. It had been dear Hotshot's favorite
spot to sit. Don't know how she manages to heave her large tummy up there
these days!
Audrey- Anyone would be proud to wear their pig's coat, I should think! Especially
a fine pig like Reese!
Leah & Shelly - Discussion of Outback is making me hungry, too! Even though I
personally prefer Lone Star for steak. Yes, I carry a small pig album with me.
Recently I went into a local bank branch to open an account for our cavy club,
and the lady made the mistake of asking what a cavy was! It wasn't long before
she was converted! I whipped out the pigtures, and left a flyer with her for the
Prettiest Pig contest. She knew a man at the bank also has piggies! hehehe
With the OP's I have noticed that sometimes they really enjoy a nose rub, and
other times they are not in the mood. Haven't figured out the difference. But if
they don't want it (i.e., shoving my hand away with their nose), I stop and pet
them somewhere else. They seem to appreciate that. Usually even the shyest
pig seems to enjoy a soft cheek rub (good place to start). And the new ones who
are still shy to my reaching in to just pet them will sit still and enjoy a good back
rub when sitting under the hammock. If they don't see the Hand coming at them
they are ok with it. ;-)
Yes, if you will send me a pigture of Tom and Huck I will gladly honor them on
our website, too!
Wheeks to all,
Susi and the Okie Piggies

“God could not be everywhere at once, so he gave each child a mother.” - Hasidic saying