[Gpdd] behavior: chirping

rmalsberg at comcast.net rmalsberg at comcast.net
Thu May 26 23:26:18 EDT 2005

WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY back in the day, two homes ago, when Taffy was here with Sundae, I heard one or both piggies chirp, in response to a (real) bird outdoors chirping.  They stopped dead (as Peter Gurney quotes piggie parents as reporting), looked pretty amazed, and did their sort of trance thing (as reported) and chirped back.  It was summer, so the windows were wide open (I had big ol' fashioned double hung sash windows) and I was home in the middle of the day (actually, almost ALL day.............:-).  This happened a total of once or twice.

Since then, I hadn't heard ANY chirping and was very envious of all of y'all who were writing about your piggz chirping.  :-(

BUT THEN, BUT THEN, a coupla nights ago, I was awakened out of a dreaming state to VERY loud chirping (and it's still cool enough at night that the windows are only open a little bit).  I remember thinking - did a bird somehow get in here?  or am I dreaming I'm inside a birdcage????  Then, I realized that neither of these could be true, and, in fact, it was tha piggz, Sundae and Tosca (or maybe just one - but it sounded at first like a call and response - of course, I was still sleeping then...........).  "I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter," as the famous poem goes, and turned on the little lamp.  Which one of you was it, I asked, peering into the cage wondering if maybe something like a moth had frightened them.  Both piggz looked up, totally normal, What???  Oh, well, I thought, they're not telling.

I looked at the clock - sure enough, 4:30 am.

Just to be sure, I went to PG's website and played "Nina chirping."  Yup, that's what it sounded like, only more piercing.

My unspoken request for piggie chirping fulfilled.  Envious no more.

--
Wheeks,

Rayna, Sundae and Tosca
and Taffy in mem