[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Biting or signaling?

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 23:02:41 EDT 2005

Diana-
Your Miss Lucy Sophie Cavy-Piggie is merely signaling you! Do not confuse
this with a biting misbehavior. Her urgency is just that - she is urgently
telling you she must be put down. Piggies seem to feel that this is the best
way to tell us when they have had enough, or when they need to go potty,
or for whatever other reason they feel the urge to get down. She is communicating
with you - respect her needs, and she will respect you.  If she were biting you,
there would be blood by now!  ;-)   So put her down when she insists, give her
some time, and try picking her up again. Maybe she doesn't feel safe when
you are holding her- is she secure on your lap, or are you holding her in your
hands?  Is there noise or other activity going on to make her nervous? Kids?
Other animals, maybe barking dogs? There are a lot of variables ... try seeing
the situation from her eyes. Make her feel safe and comfortable, try some
of her favorite treats.
I wonder how often we miss their signals, or misunderstand them?  They must
think we are totally dense!   (we're all still learning!)
Good luck with your girl (I love her name!).
Susi and the Okie Piggies