[Gpdd] Behavior: Smart Piggies

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 22:15:03 EDT 2005

We are ready for a fun topic too! How smart is Snowball? He has a
vocabulary! He knows his name, and I think he knows, "want a treat" and
"Yummies." He might possibly understand the phrase "Just a minute" when
he is begging for a treat. But it also depends on the tone of voice. He
is used to being spoken to in a baby talk, sweet little guinea pig
voice. He knows the word "No!" is for the dog, never for him ;)

Snowball likes to burrow, but not as much as his brother Snickers used
to. When he tunnels under something, he usually likes to be peeking out.
With his cuddle cup, instead of nesting into the round sides, he likes
to fold them over and rest on top. Sometimes he uses the side of his
cuddle cup like a pillow.

Snowball has a high emotional IQ for a guinea pig. When he is free to
walk around in a big space, he makes little happy noises. Tony says that
Snowball likes to change his environment. One time a friend came over
with his two piggies. Snowball loved them so much and he acted depressed
when they went home. Later that night Tony fixed him a box to run in and
out of inside their pen and he cheered up again.

Snowball does not like his very kind vet because she trims his teeth.
But he likes her assistant because she scratches his head and cheeks and
tells him good things.
Carla and Snowball, missing our Snickers