[Gpdd] Rita, hurricane relief

Leila Baldridge keegsmom at cablelynx.com
Tue Sep 27 21:14:05 EDT 2005

Hi!
I am sorry to send out one e-mail to everyone, but right now I don't have
time to write separate ones, and I wanted to let all of you know that we are
OK and I sure hope everyone else is.
 We did lose power again, and the power went on and off for a few days, but
last night we got our internet back on. We did not expect any problems from
Rita, since landfall was expected to be near Galveston, but with the darn
thing turning east at the last minute, we did get a lot of tornado warnings
and a heck of a lot of rain. But other than the inconvenience of being
without electricity for awhile, we came through fine in my area. The Miss.
State University campus at Starkville had a lot of tornado damage, and there
was at least one fatality from a tornado just north of us.
The weekend before Rita hit, I went down to Tylertown MS which is about an
hour from the Gulf Coast. Tylertown is one of the places for rescued pets to
be brought to first, since it is fairly close to both New Orleans and to the
Miss. coast. I am hoping to go back this weekend. The local rescue people
plus people from Best Friends in Utah and volunteers from all over the US
are there trying to help with the initial care of all these poor animals. I
was only there for one day so what little I was able to do was nothing
compared to others who are there day and night. A lot of people were staying
at night in tents (with no facilities except Port a Potties). Hotel rooms
are practically impossible to find. I was working with the Humane Society of
Louisiana (www.humanela.org). The volunteers were washing the dogs, who were
covered in filth, getting them fed and watered, tending as best they could
to medical needs, and generally trying to comfort over a hundred frightened
animals. Many of the dogs had infected lacerations and needed fluids to
combat dehydration from diarrhea. Volunteers were assigned to crews to walk
and water dogs, wash food bowls, clean soiled cages, do whatever needed to
be done. About 70 new arrivals from New Orleans were housed in wire crates
under a tent made of large tarps stretched over poles. Volunteers were
working as fast as possible to put up chain link runs so the animals could
be moved to more comfortable surroundings. My crew had a relatively easy
job. We went from crate to crate, taking the dogs out for a walk, refilling
water bowls, and taking the dogs to the water hose for a cool rinse. There
was not enough time to walk the ones who were already in larger runs, but we
kept their bowls full of clean water, and took spray bottles of cool water
to them and wet them down. The heat was terrible and there were so many bugs
that as soon as we filled a bowl with clean water, it filled up with bugs!
I can't say enough in praise of all the people, both local and from all over
the country, who are giving their time to alleviate the suffering of the
helpless animal victims of the hurricanes. From the volunteers on the "front
lines", to shelters in other areas who are taking in pets once they are
medically more stable, to the individuals who are fostering animals or
sending donations to help keep the effort going, to all those who send their
prayers for the animals and the rescuers---everyone is so important!
Operation Angel Piggie is a great way to help out with this! I just got an
e-mail from Jaxie with the Beebe AR Humane Society (one of the Angel Piggie
shelters). She said that of the Katrina refugee dogs they have, one has died
of bacterial infection, one died of Parvovirus, another has been at the vets
for nearly a week on IV's (also Parvo),and another has a skin infection, but
the others are healthy. So that puts a big financial burden on these
shelters who are also trying to take care of the animals they already had. I
talked to Jaxie by phone and she was very greatful for our help.
Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that we are OK, and to share my
experience with the rescue effort.
Leila (and the zoo)