[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Chip's health

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 15 03:56:33 EST 2006

DEAR GWEN

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED MY CAMBRIUDGE CAVY TRUST NEWSLETTER AND IN THIS THEY
SAY THAT A PIGGY WITH A COLD OR FLUID ON THE LUNGS MUST BE GIVEN A DIRECTIC
CALLED FRUSEMIDE OR DIMAZON. OFTEN JUST A ONE-OFF DOSE WILL CLEAR FLUID FROM
THE LUNGS, EITHER IN TABLET FORM DOSE 20MG FOR AN ADULT GUINEA PIG. OR IF BY
INJECTION, 0.2ML SUB CUT AT SHOULDER.

PLEASE, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR VET THAT THEY HAVE DONE THIS, AND IF THEY
HAVEN'T, THEN ASK THAT THEY DO.  IF THEY'RE FUNNY ABOUT IT THEN ASK THEM TO
TEXT VEDRA AT THE CCT ON 07721 026401.  SHE'S A QUALIFIED RODENTOLOIGST AND
TRAINS OTHERS TO BE.  ANTIBOTICS ALONE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH AND WON'T REMOVE
FLUID FROM THE LUNGS.  VEDRA SPEAKS OFTEN ABOUT THIS (DURETICS) BEING THE
TREATMENT TO GIVE, BUT OFTEN VETS DON'T KNOW OF THIS.

I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GP ARTIE, WHO HAD FLUID ON THE LUNGS.
THE VETS JUST GAVE ME ANTIBIOTICS.  WHEN I CALLED VEDRA AND TOLD HER SHE
SAID HE MUST HAVE A DURETIC.  MY VETS SAID THAT'S NOT THE TREATMENT THEY DO.
I HAD TO GET ARTIE TO CCT.  HIS BREATHING WAS GETTING FASTER AND HE WAS
MAKING LITTLE NOISES WITH IT.  IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR VEDRA, I'D HAVE LOST
HIM.

FLUID ON THE LUNGS MUST BE TREATED WITH A DURECTIC.

I WILL KEEP CHIP IN MY PRAYERS.  GOOD LUCK  CAROLE

P.S.SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS, I DIDN'T REALISE MY KEY HAD LOCKED!