[Gpdd] [CARE] Rachel's six

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 13:26:04 EST 2006

Hi Rachel:
Thank you for posting about the cage cleaning ideas.  I have been on  the
digest for a while now, but am still kind of stumped when it comes to this
subject.  I also have six piggies - 4 boys and 2 girls.  There are a  total of 3
cages - 2 c&c's and a Marchioro (that the girls are in).  I  go to the dollar
store and get either plastic picnic (sometimes flannel backed)  tablecloths, or
shower curtain liners.  I am very careful to fold them to  the size of the
floor of the cage.  I then cover that with either sheets,  towels, or fleece
(cheap) blankets.  I then cover that with aspen.   When cleaning time comes, I
grab the corners of the sheets and stuff it in a  garbage bag to empty.  I then
shake the dust outside, and load the sheets  in the washer.  The liner on the
bottom kind of helps preserve the life of  the coroplast.  I am a weirdo - I
have to clean their cages at least two  times a week - that is why I was happy
to see your post.  I am always  looking for an easier way.  I will repeat - the
liner is completely covered  by a sheet, then weighted down with the bedding
- so no piggy is tempted to  chew the plastic.  Chewing on plastic can be
fatal.  As for the  bedding - the boys are on Aspen, and the girls are on Critter
Care (Wal-mart's  cheaper answer to Care Fresh).  I have also used Kaytee
Total Comfort -  which I love, but tends to cost more.  Good Luck - and thanks
again.
Donna
Tom, Huck, Becky, Thatcher, Big Jim, and Aunt  Polly