[Gpdd] *** URGENT *** [HEALTH] Albert is sick

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 21:42:28 EST 2006

Dear Jaime

I was worried to hear that Albert doesn't seem to be well.  I'd get him to
the Vet *as soon as you can* - ring to explain what the trouble is and get
immediate advice and the earliest appointment possible.  Does he feel
cold?  Sometime piggies feel cold when they go hunched up. Keep him warm
(maybe wrap a hot water bottle up in a towel and put that near him.  Not
too hot, pleasantly warm to the touch.)

It sounds as if he could have a touch of gastro-intestinal stasis.
You'll need to get some food and water into him if you can (but don't
force him if he really doesn't want to take it), and also keep his gut
working.  He shouldn't be a day without food and water.   The vet might
give him metocloprimide to stimulate his gut if it is sluggish.

Hold him with his tummy up to your ear - you should be able to hear
gentle chugging sounds as the food digests: if it is virtually silent, or
unusually noisy, Albert could have a GI stasis problem.  Here are some
suggestions until you can get him to the vet (see the massage below
particularly if his tummy doesn't sound right):

* sometimes water on its own isn't enough to rehydrate, if he isn't
drinking, so you might need to use some rehydration salts (as sold by
chemists and supermarkets for humans with diarrhoea), or Bio Lapis which
also has probiotic and vitamins; it's made by ProTexin, you might be able
to get some on the web or from your vet.

* if you haven't got any critical care, try a mash made from the pellets
in his dry mix (the ones like little logs in a mixed dry food), or if it
all looks the same because the pellets are a combined food, mix them with
a little warm, but not hot, water; Albert might be willing to take this
from a spoon, or you might need to make it a little more moist to give it
to him in a syringe (chop part of the nozzle off the end of the syringe to
stop it from clogging up).

* put Albert's salad food through the juicer and offer it to him in a
syringe or a spoon

* mix up some dry baby food (vegetarian flavours only) such as banana with
a little water into a paste that he can either take from a spoon or in a
syringe.

* feel his tummy - does it feel at all tight?  If you tap your index
finger against his tummy does it sound hollow?  If so, he could have some
wind which would be uncomfortable for him. I know you are giving him
anti-gas medicine.

* You could also try a gentle tummy massage (this will help stimulate the
gut).  Hold Albert on your lap with his bottom towards your tummy and him
facing the same way that you are.  Lift up his top half with your left
hand, so that his back is against your tummy, then start with your right
hand at the top of his ribs, and then very gently move your right hand to
his left side, down towards the base of his tummy, up to the right side,
then back to the top.  Repeat this in a series of single smooth actions.
When I do this to one of my piggies I lean forward so my face is next to
his/hers and sing quietly to them while I rub.  If there is any wind this
should help get it moving, and also encourage the gut to produce any
faecal pellets.  If nothing else, it should be pleasant for Albert and
comforting for him.

Also check that Albert hasn't got a little dried waxy plugin his penis.
If you can see something yellowish looking a bit like a little splinter in
this sensitive area you should slowly and gently remove it, as that could
also be making him feel a bit sore, particularly if he is a bit tender
from bladder stones.

Also get your vet to check his teeth, in case the lack of eating is
caused tooth overgrowth/spurs/spikes, and not connected to the bladder
stone problem.

Another problem is that Metacam can cause upset tummies (like aspirin can
in humans).  If his droppings are spludgy I'd stop giving it to him for a
while (or reduce the dose) as this could indicate that he is producing too
much gastric (stomach) acid in response to the Metacam - your vet may
decide to give him some vetergesic, which is a powerful pain relief agent.

Get well soon, Albert, we are all thinking of you!
best wishes

Kay