[Gpdd] [CARE] getting piggies to take medicine

Deborah Tanovich dtanovich at sprint.ca
Fri Jan 13 13:02:00 EST 2006

Greetings to all in GPDD land
Hope all had a blessed holiday season and condolences to those who have lost their little furbabies.

I forgot who posted asking about how to get their piggies to take medicine, but I have found this to work for Popcorn. He absolutely HATES medicine and will fight the syringe.

I get a nice fluffy towel and swaddle him like a baby with just his wee head sticking out.  This way he's protected and cn't squirm too much.  I lean him back in the crook of my arm and syringe whatever medicine is needed.  I do it slowly and give him some rests between dosings.  He doesn't fight so hard and by being in a slight reclining position, he has to take the medicine.  Sometimes he gets a paw out and seems to hold my finger as I medicate him.

After medicine, we have a cuddle and he gets a treat when he goes back to his cage.

Hope this is helpful.

Deborah and Popcorn (remembering Fluffy Piggums at the Bridge)