[Gpdd] [CARE]<Golliwoog>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:48:47 EST 2006

Hi all and Penny,
Sorry i'm so late with reacting on the golliwoog plant. I'm very busy right
now but i found a bit of time to react (no time to translate the whole
webpage though...)

This is what i found, the translation for the plant golliwoog (latin name:
callisia repens) is probably Inch plant.It is some kind of clover.As far as
i found, it is also sold in germany and switserland. The website is
obviously commercially oriented. they looove their product and recommend it
for all kinds of animals, it is good for the digestive system contains lots
of minerals and vitamins etc.
What i don't like are the high calcium levels. But i guess it cannot hurt
when it's feeded in small quantities. (same goes for parsley). i do think
the piggies will like it because it has a bitter taste and our girls loooove
chicory and endive which are also bitter.
If you happen to have this plant at home, since it appears to be a normal
houseplant, i'd be very carefull to feed it to you pigs. because the kind
you buy for decoration purposes contains herbicides.Only if you know for
sure that this isn't the case it will be safe.

I also asked on a dutch forum if anyone had experiences with this and not
many people had. One girl mentioned that when you dry this plant, it
contains toxics. This is hearsay (also for the girl), i don't know if it's
true, but to be safe side, don't dry the plant. Another girl worked in a pet
store and they sold this for a short while but nobody bought it so they
stopped.(but you know how the dutch are, it costs money and we don't like
that anyway and our pets wil probably devour this in a sec ;-) )

Hope it helps,
grtz&Wkz
Janneke