[Gpdd] [GPDD] Misc - Finding homes

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 16:16:35 EDT 2006

Since we've been on the subject of trying to find homes for dear little
  piggies here and there lately, I'm going to share a note I sent to Candy
  just now. Although I urged her to go get that "free gp with cage" just
  to keep the bad guys from claiming it, I know that most of us can't just
  up and drag in another critter. But here are some other ideas I offered,
  just in an attempt to try to find something that will work to save lives.
  And maybe something here will give someone else some ideas; if
  we work together, we can save a few more lives. Plus, if some of you
  are willing to put on some clinics, like we've done around here, we
  can spread a bit more understanding of proper and responsible cavy
  care, and try to eliminate some of the excess population. (whew!)
  Anyway, here's what I sent her--

  "Where are you located? Maybe there will be a rabbit and/or cavy show
  somewhere near you in the near future. There is always a good chance
  of finding good homes for little piggies (and of buying them cheap) at
  these shows. I'm thinking, if you could temporarily rescue the little guy,
  you could take him to a show and find a home for him.
  (you can check the ARBA website for shows in your area;
  www.arba.net/index.htm)
  Also - with school just underway, more and more teachers are adopting
  classroom guinea pigs. This would be a good option, assuming the said
  teacher (and entire class) are willing to learn all the fine points of serving
  a guinea pig master, as well as joining gpdd and turning to us for support.
  Many times these classroom pigs , end up being adopted by either the
  teacher or one of the children at the end of the school year (although, I
  would like to see a pair of pigs in these classrooms, not one to be left
  all along at night and on weekends and holidays).  A friend who is
  manager of a pet supply store in Tulsa routinely trims nails and does
  mini health checks, at least helping them with things they can do them-
  selves or tell them when they need to see the vet.
  Just some thoughts . . . I worry so about little piggies in limbo like this.
  But thanks so much for at least bringing him to our attention, I realize
  not everyone can just suddenly add another soul to their population."

  Now, surely that will give some of the rest of you some ideas . . .
  Susi and the Okie Piggies
  (including some rescues and adoptees,
  though we aren't saying who)