[Gpdd] [MISC]<hairless piggies>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 03:49:30 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,
first of all, healing wheeks for all the sick piggies, and birdie, we looove
the roll call, it's so much fun to see where everyone is from.

There was a big discussion about the hairless piggies on a dutch forum. So
this is sort of what i picked up there, although i do not know how correct
everything is. The nearly hairless piggies are called skinny's. They indeed
have hair on their heads.
There is also another breed, the baldwins, they are totally bald.
(i just googled a bit, if you scroll down you can see pigtures ;-)
http://www.comfycavies.com/Info/Breeds/breeds.htm )

The discussion was about how healthy it is for the pigs to be hairless.
There is a lot of controversy about this. they seem to have a very sensitive
skin and have to be rubbed in with creams or moistures, they are also very
sensitive to temperature changes. Especially the baldwins seem to be
troublesome. The skinny's are relatively new here in the netherlands so
there is not much known about that here.They (both breeds) are also
difficult to keep because they easily get scratched, by themselves and other
guineapigs. But i've been told that they originate from north amerika, so
perhaps i'm speaking before my turn ;-)
As for how pretty it is...well, that's personal. They sort of look like
little hippo's. Well, let's just say that it's not my cup of cavy.
grtz
janneke from the winky girls