[Gpdd] [Care] Bumblefoot

Lisa B cavylover74 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 21:31:38 EDT 2007

  Ivy has bumblefoot severely in both feet. Both are swollen but no sores or ulcers.  I took her to the vet last week and she has been on Baytril and Metacam for at least 2 weeks.  I also soak her feet nightly for at least 15 min. in chlorahexidine solution diluted.

  She is obviously in pain,she was grinding her teeth furiously last night, I felt so bad for her because I don't know what else I could do for her.  I take her out and let her relax in her cozy bed on the couch and that is where she stays.  I watch her and she sometimes can't even get comfortable.  She has lost a few ounces so I have been feeding her separately from the others so they won't steal her food.

  I just don't know what else to do.  I dealt with another pig that had bumblefoot, Cupcake, but he recovered from it and his feet did not swell like this.

  The vet mentioned that just by looking at her legs/feet, she has considerable amount of calcification which will cause arthritis/leg pain for her.  I don't know how this happened to my sweet baby.

  Any suggestions out there that dealt with this before?

  Lis and the Guinea Girls
  Forever in my Heart, Cupcake, Flint, Silverado, and Hazelnut

    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!"

  The "pigs" say, "Have a Wheeking Good Day!"

  http://www.cavylover74.blinkz.com/
  360.yahoo.com/cavylover74