[Gpdd] SILLY: Pigs watching Squirrels

jaaladog jaaladog at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 19 01:08:10 EST 2007

I just had to tell you all this story before it slipped my mind.  I have my
girls in my office right now because the house is full of Christmas stuff
and this is the quietest, less dangerous area for them. Their cage sits in a
window so that they can look outside and enjoy the wildlife or just enjoy
seeing something different from time to time.  Well, recently, Earl had
noticed that out in our yard, which he has decorated for Christmas, there
are a string of about 6 candy canes that light up and are connected together
by wires.  Each one has a stake that sticks down into the ground.  He said
that he had noticed that every day, he would find one or two, in no
particular order, had been knocked down.  Out he would go, every day, put
them back up and then wait to catch the kids who were (we thought) knocking
them down.  But then, a couple of days ago, he noticed the pigs looking out
the window and he too looked to see what had their interest.

I swear to you, this is a true story!  He saw about 10, 12 squirrels
gathered around a tree in the yard, popcorning, rolling around, playing and
having a high old time.  But then, all of a sudden, and in no apparent
order, one would peel off from the group, take a running start and when he
would get about 8 feet from one of the candy canes, would launch him or
herself at it and hit it about halfway up the cane, in an attempt to knock
it over.  They would run back to the tree and the next one would go.  I
laughed myself silly when I heard this.  There is absolutely no explanation
for this behavior then just out and out having fun.  So, that explains the
knocked down candy canes.  Now, I feel bad for the girls because it would
seem they would like to go out and play what looks to them like a very fun
game with some of their distant rodent cousins.  LOL

If I could get this on video, I think I would call it "Reindeer Wannabe's"
and send it in to some sort of program.

Just wanted to share it with you all.

Hugs, wheeks & Winks,
Lynn, Samantha & Tabitha