[Gpdd] MISC: Chirping

merle.jaffe at thomson.com merle.jaffe at thomson.com
Wed Jan 17 11:19:47 EST 2007

There has been a few posts about chirping lately and I thought I'd add
my two cents.  I have heard my boar chirp twice.  Once in the middle of
the night and once when I was playing with him and waved a silk scarf
that I had been wearing around his face (maybe my perfume smelled like a
female guinea pig?) .  Anyhow, since I vaguely monitor the scientific
literature I had come across a research article that described mice
song.  The article is very detailed about how they measured the song,
etc., but one of the notable comments is that the mice (when "singing")
froze and appeared in a trance -- much like folks on this list describe
when they encounter a singing piggy. I actually e-mailed one of the
authors of the research about the guinea pig phenomena --I think he
thought I was a nut case.  Anyhow , here is the url to a summary of the
article for those interested.
http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.13
71/journal.pbio.0030420

Merle, slave to Lucky who will hopefully remain stone free