[Gpdd] Rescue: Ist Day at the Shelter

leah.mcneil at wachovia.com leah.mcneil at wachovia.com
Mon Jul 23 12:35:17 EDT 2007

Hello Slaves,
I hope you all had a Fabulous Wheeeekend!
Mine was too short, but I did Finally begin my
volunteering at the shelter, so I'm happy about
that. I met a woman named Kim in the Exotics
rooms yesterday (Sun) at 10am and she showed
me where all of the supplies were. They had 2
male piggies, 8 or 9 rabbits, 2 hamsters (although
1 was missing). And then there is an ajoining
(locked) room that had a carnivorous fish, a baby
alligator (Yikes!), a snake (Ewwwwww), and a
couple of gold fish. Obviously, the alligator was
not adoptable.

Well, the first thing I did was get the 2 piggies
out of the rabbit cage they were in and put them
in a cage suitable for gp's. I know, I cringed when
I saw that too. The pigs are smaller, but they're
not babies, I don't think, maybe 8 months to a
year old. They were Adorable. She said that
they were wild and hard to get out of the cage,
but I didn't have any problems. One was sweeter
than the other. But, they were both very Happy
when I put them in their new cage. I gave them
an abundance of pine shedding and lots of
timothy hay.

Kim showed me how to hold the rabbits and
so I picked them up, but I don't think I was very
good at it. They were hard to keep a hold of,
so if anySlave has some rabbit-handling
pointers, I would appreciated it.

The hammies' cage were already done, so we
didn't have to do those.

Next week, I'm getting trained on dog excercising
(i.e. dog walking) because the shelter wants their
volunteers crossed-trained. I don't have a
problem with that, but I know that I will mostly be
working in the Exotics room...where I belong.

      Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeps,
                Leah...Former Slave to Brownie Bear
                                       & Butterscotch :-)