[Gpdd] [CARE] Making hay from mown grass?

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 12:56:45 EDT 2007

Northern France, like most of Britain, has had the wettest summer so far  for
decades, and it has been really difficult to find a day dry enough to mow
the lawn. Hence, our lawn grass is now pretty long, and that in the meadow is
even longer.

At the same time, the local farmers are having an awful job trying to get
any hay made. We have all heard the saying, "Make hay while the sun shines".
Well, there has been so little sunshine that hardly any hay has been made, and I
 have seen them baling it whilst it is still damp, so wonder what kind of
quality  it will be when unwrapped - fermenting, surely?

Now, I know piggies must not be fed lawnmower cuttings out of the lawnmower
box, because of this fermenting problem, but as and when we do get some dry
weather, we will have to mow the lawn without the box on, leaving the long,
mown  grass behind on the lawn. If I keep turning this over and over like I see
the  farmers do, will it eventually (assuming a long enough dry spell) turn
into hay  which will be fit for my piggies to eat?

I usually buy a huge bale from a farming neighbour twice a year, and that
does the piggies and the 3 goats for 6 months. But I am anticipating a shortage,
 and know that if hay is scarce, local farmers will be giving priority to
their  dairy and beef herds, and not to my little goat and piggie herds, who in
their  eyes are completely non-productive. We don't have timothy hay here - not
even in  pet stores. It is all just plain hay, and the stuff from farmers to
me seems  better then that in tiny plastic packets from the pet stores. But
could I make  my own? The lawn is never treated with chemicals, though the dogs
and chickens  probably do excrete on it from time to time. But then, any hay
we buy is sure to  be contaminated to some extent by the wild creatures that
wandered or flew  across the field before it was mown. I could pick out any
buttercups when  storing or serving it.

If necessary, I guess I could scythe it if the lawnmower made it unsuitable
in some way. But the farmers mow theirs mechanically .... .

What do you all think? HAs anyone ever done this, and what were the  results?

Debbie (with the 14 Dolly Mixtures anxiously awaiting a response as their
hay supply dwindles!)