[Gpdd] [HEALTH/CARE] Cage off Floor

Hala Annette annettehala at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 16:38:26 EST 2007

Rodney's cage has always been on the floor.  In Japan the floors are very cold in the winter.  Japanese houses are built off the ground with sand under the foundation to keep the house cool in the warm months. (April~October)  My feet were always blocks of ice even with two pairs of socks on.  Japanese houses don't have heat so at night it got down to 40F in the house in the winter.  In Japan they sell electric carpets in all sizes.  It's like an electric blanket, only heavy duty like an area rug.  We had a small one just the right size for Rodney’s cage and we put it right underneath.  He had the only electric carpet in the house so I'm sure his feeties were much warmer than any of the slave's.  We had some large plastic lids from storage bins that we covered his cage with to keep the draft off.  At night we draped the cage with an electric, blanket and duvet.  Even though we have central heat here I still drape his cage at night because it helps him go to sleep.  I've
 noticed that he doesn't sleep in snuggly places here either.  I think it's warm enough that he just sprawls out wherever.  He used to love his hammock although he didn't use it much when it was hot.  Since we moved he completely quit using it.  I'm kind of sad about that because he used to love it and looked so cute in it.

  Annette