[Gpdd] health: ovarian cysts

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:29:39 EDT 2007

Hi Carly,

My Guiny had symptoms of ovarian cysts not so long ago.
She wasn't really getting bald on both sides, just on one side, but baldness
at both sides can definitely be a symptoms of ovarian cysts, but probably
also of other illnesses. Guiny was rumbling almost constantly, not a real
big problem, for the rest since she has always been the alpha pig, but
nevertheless i'd imagine she would be uncomfortable by it.
Guiny also had swollen nipples, which were getting a bit dirty for some
reason.
My vet told me the only treatment she knew for ovarian cysts was spaying,
but she was willing to look around and see if there were any other less
risky solutions.
There is a hormone treatment, sorry i forgot the name of the hormone, but
someone on the digest will know. From what i've heard a dutch vet who used
it on something like 50 guinea pigs and it only helped for one of them. It
did not seem worth the expense.
An other thing a vet can do is puncture (is that the right word?) the cysts
so that the fuild will be taken out. But this is only a temporary solution,
over time most cysts fill up with fuilds again.
Apart from that there is only spaying as far as I know, which can be quite
risky, but it solves the problems she might be having.

Something to share: A girl on a dutch GP forum had her sow spayed. The Sow
suffered from diabetes, but diabetes apparrantly can be induced by hormonal
problem. after the spaying the sow was also cured of her diabetes!

Guiny is doing great right now. One day her behaviour and nipples went back
to normal and she seems to be in perfect health. Of course i'm monitoring
her for symptons, but for now it seems guiny does not need an operation!

I wish you and your girl all the best,
Mieke from the winky girls: Lotje, Guiny and Dunya (at camp elsinore)
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com

Blog: http://pandameisje.hyves.nl
Cavia's: http://winkysgirls.hyves.nl