[Gpdd] Health : Skinny pigs

Carly Austin candi191999 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 20:36:12 EDT 2007

I would like to tell you about my almost skinny pig.
Her name is Aeva, she is 3 and has an ovarian cyst.
She went in to a wonderful vet in may to have it
removed.  The vet called me half way through the
syrgery to tell me that there was a large blood supply
to the cyst, and her uterus.  She told me that she did
not feel comfortable taking it out, as she could
easily bleed to death.  We talked about it for a time,
and decided to simply have it drained. Now she goes in
every few months to have the cyst drained, only taking
a needle through the skin and sucking out the liquid.

Here is the kinda skinny pig part. As a symptom of
this cyst in on her ovary (which is the organ that
tells the body how much estrogen it needs) is hair
loss.  She has only her face, feet and a bit on her
but. The rest of her if getting very thin.

I would never recomend that anyone buy a skinny pig at
all! I am very insistant tht no one EVER buy a pig. I
say this not to offend anyone, as I have in the past
purchased piggies before becoming educated on how the
mommy piggies are just used for their ability to pop
out baby piggies. I know how sad they look in the
store, but think that that pig most likely came from a
mommy who was bread right after giving birth. THat
poor mommy pig is nothing more than a piggie machine,
living to only give birth. Never knowing the
satisfaction of being able to live to munch on grass,
veggies and other goodies.  I know someone who worked
at a pet store, and was told of the horrors of how the
parent piggies were treated.  Not too far off of the
U.S. egg industry, lots of mommy piggies, inbreading,
cruelty, and once they no longer are useful to breed,
it is off to the freezer, for python and other large
snake food.  Nice hugh.

In my home town, the humane society does not take in
pocket pets, if you are not a dog, or cat too bad.  I
talked to the director after volinteering there doing
cat care, about the posibility of them taking in
animals.  They really just don't have the room.  She
told me they have a list of people that they call for
different pets.  I was moved to the top of the g.p.
list.  She was very impressed with my knoledge about
these cute furr babies.

Try this route, if your are looking for a new babie.
Or always look in the paper, this last weekend I got a
new baby. "Free to good home"  She came with a cage,
her food, bedding, hay, a food dish, but no water
bottle. I truly feel like I rescued her due to the
deplorable condition that she was in. (Bugs in her
poop and pee caked litter)  She had no food at all,
anywhere in her cage, no hay even though they had an
entire bage of Tim and Alf hay.  No water bottle "that
broke a while back".  Check out these piggies.  There
was also a bonded pair that was in the paper. I called
and asked a lot of questions.  I inform them that
there are people who are out just looking for those
free animals.... baby makers, testers and experaments.
 They seemed very knolegable, but no longer abe to
take care of them.  They told me about some people
they had interviewed for it, and denied.  So I felt
comfortable not taking the pair.

Anyway, my rant is ended for now.

Anyone have any suggestions for my balding baby
besides Rogain?

Carly and the five pigs.. Aeva Emma Liam Foders and
Dharma!