[Gpdd] [CARE] Piggies final pain, the strange story of Square Ed

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Thu Sep 6 04:23:40 EDT 2007

Alge has asked me to  to write again about Square Ed. He had an incurable
disease but came to his final time on a holiday, no Piggy vets available,
and it would have been useless any way. Square Ed was one of my most beloved
pigs, born at my home and so strange looking. He was a Peruvian but I had
never had a Peruvian baby so I didn't know what to expect. He had a coal
black head, white middle, and red rump and a ridge of hair stood straight up
on his back one stood straight out on both sides, the over all effect was a
kind of squared off look, so his name came from that bohemian look, squared
off, became Square-ED (a pearl jam thing) He also had red lightning shapes
running through both eyes on his coal black face, in a word he was stunning.

He liked me well enough but he was a pigs pig, loved his youth with the
other boars, and when he grew to manhood and was spayed he married twice, I
remember writing about his second wedding, it was a cute story, but I
digress.  He lived a long life, outlived his 2 wives and went back to living
communally. And then he was sick and it was incurable but I decided to let
him stay as long as he was enjoying life. One day, on some holiday 3 day
weekend, I picked him up and nuzzled him, he seemed fine, I put him down and
he gave out one huge wheek and looked up at me with the saddest pleading
eyes. So of course I picked him up again and he would not let me put him
down, so I didn't. Not for 3 days. He had be come incontinent and wouldn't
eat any thing and although he had been taught to eat by syringe, as I teach
all my pigs as a precaution for if and when they are sick, . I wrapped in a
burrito and tucked him under my arm, but I could tell he was in pain,
Finally it came to me that since he would die soon maybe I should help him
to the bridge myself, a blessing for him, horrid for me. I had some really
strong narcotic painkillers, the kind without added ibuprofen or Tylenol, so
they are very small. I crushed a whole one, 5 or 10 mg, enough to take my
pain away good,  so I figured it would be more than enough to do this job, I
syringed the whole thing by mouth. Boy was I wrong.Wrong, in a few minutes,
Ed giggled, he was happy, really happy, actually he was high!. It lasted
many hours, He still wouldn't eat or drink or let me put him down, I gave
him 5 or 6 pills over the three days, all that I had left from a surgery,
and then it was over and he didn't suffer. God,  I loved that pig, and I
still do!  And he loved me too! I would never even blink if I was in that
situation again to do the same thing, and I never doubted if I did the right
thing, Ed didn't ether I'm quite sure. As always I gave his body back to his
buddies for their final goodbyes before I buried him.

Sandy remembering Square ED and all the Penny Giggles  (and I used my
spellchecker this time)