[Gpdd] MISC: allergies

Kirsten McKnight kirsten.mcknight at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:39:40 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I don't have too many problems with my piggies re: allergies. But my two
rats - there's another issue. I have to try and let them get their little
feet and hands on my skin - palms of my hands are not too bad - but my
wrists and neck just become incredibly itchy if they touch that. I try to
make sure I wash my hands well after handling any of the little guys - rats
or piggies - because regardless of which one it is, if I rub my eyes having
not washed my hands - I'm done for. I have dry eyes already due to some
other health issues - and once I rub them having not washed my hands they
get gummy, itchy, red and generally drive me crazy.

My only cure is as I said good hand washing practices, not letting the rats
touch my bare skin, and trying not to rub my eyes if I can avoid it. I go
through a lot of towels and antihistamines! Good luck to all with the
allergies issues. As I think Jaime said - I would rather have the little
guys and deal with the allergies then the other way around!

cheers
Kirsten and the Critter Crew