[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE - Chester

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 18 09:15:41 EDT 2008

Dear Ric,

I am deeply saddened by your posting about the passing of Chester.  People must think we, as slaves, are crazy at how much we love our masters and how totally devastated we are when they leave us for the Bridge.    But we at the GPDD do understand how each of us feel when these sad events take place.    I lost 3 piggies in 2007, within the space of 2 months, and I can honestly say I have not recovered or accepted their passing.   Like you, their passing meant lots of my heart died with them - especially my little soul-mate Archie.  I know what you mean when you say that Chester's death destroyed you.

My heart is breaking with yours Ric.    Why do our little babies have such short lives?    They mean the world to us.  They are our lives.         I pray that you soon find some lightness in your heart, in remembering happy times with Chester.   It is good that you have 9 other piggies to devote your love and attention to, they will be a great consolation to you at this time.  Give them lots of cuddles and snuggles.

Regarding your question of the broken jaw, it sounds like a similar thing that happened with my sister's piggy, who died in July.   His name was Angus, and was a rescue pig from the RSPCA as a young pig.     We only this year discovered he had a broken foot, broken shoulder, and broken leg joint and the vet said that would have been from being dropped as a very young baby.   He'd never been able to walk properly, we thought it was because he was overweight.   Then he developed cancer in his front foot, and he had surgery to remove that cancer.  Unfortunately, the vet who operated omitted to tell us that piggies always suffer hypothermia after having anaesthetic, and he should have been on a heat pad for a few days!  She just said it will take a few days for the anaesthetic to wear off and to treat him as normal.     He died not 24 hours after his surgery, even though we found out about the hypothermia from a different vet and kept him on heat pad, etc. etc.   It was just too late for our Angus.   He was not yet 3 years old at his passing.

It is only with each tragic loss of one of our piggies that we seem to learn a little bit more about these complicated little guys.    It's a shame that such pain has to be suffered to gain more experience and knowledge.

I pray that you find comfort in knowing that your dear Chester is with so many friends at the Rainbow Bridge now - 5 of my boys are there, probably they are already frolicking and creating havoc in paradise!

God Bless,
Julie, Donald & Wheeky
(with Muppet, Teddy, Dougall, Archie & Brandy in paradise)