[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Details of urethral stone removal

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Dec 8 14:04:57 EST 2008

Our 4.5 year old sow Kinjaroo had a 16 mm long by 11 mm wide by 8 mm
high stone in her urethra. The stone was 1.5 mm from the urethral
opening. The female urethra is about 20 mm long and 2-3 mm in diameter
(Cooper and Schiller).  On the 3rd of December Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of
Tampa Florida successfully removed the stone. Today she is totally
normal. She was taking 10 mg of Rimadyl twice a day for pain for 2 days
and 0.5ml of pediatric Bactrim twice a day to prevent infection for 7
days. The following are the details of the surgery for those that are
interested. Dr. Bonsack first spoke with Dr. Griffin of
http://www.griffinexotics.com about a method he had pioneered using a
catheter to remove urethral stones. However, Kinjaroo’s stone was too
large to be removed by Dr. Griffin’s method. He then spoke with Vedra
Stanley Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust (CCT) and Guinea Pig
Hospital http://rodentology.co.uk/. She advised that he use a local
anesthetic, insert obstetric lubricant into urethra via Jackson cat
catheter, slide stone down to opening then using a number 11 blade make
a slit at the opening of the urethra and remove stone. Vedra said there
would be no need to suture the urethra because it will heal within a
couple of days. She also advised to keep patient on clean towels or vet
bed, give 10mg of Rimadyl twice daily for two days and give plenty to
drink. I told Vedra that Kinjaroo is a very excitable cavy and I did not
think that the surgery could be done under a local. Vedra then responded
  “We use an anesthetic chamber and once they are under we take them out
and use a nose cone to maintain, once you have cut through the skin you
can reduce the concentration to about 2 or 2.5. Half hour prior to
operating we give 0.2ml of Rimadyl. We never use Vetagesic or any form
of injectable anesthetic. On completion of op turn off isoflurane flush
patient with oxygen put dollop of Vick vapor rub on nose and guinea pig
should be back in cage and eating/normal within 10 mins. PS empty mouth
with 1 ml syringe prior to induction and if guinea pig has not been
drinking well give 10ml of Hartman’s sub cut at shoulder prior to op.”
Kinjaroo was given 10 mg of Rimadyl post op per Vedra’s instructions.
Dr. Bonsack did not have an anesthetic chamber so he put Kinjaroo three
quarters of the way into a large anesthetic cone where she was breathing
2.5% isoflurane. She calmed down quickly and that gave me the
opportunity to take her out of the cone and using a 1 ml syringe remove
any fluid from the back of her throat. I then made sure her tongue was
extended as to not block her trachea and placed her on the pre-warmed
operating cradle. Dr. Bonsack then put a nose cone on Kinjaroo, which
was delivering 2.0% isoflurane and taped it to her body. After
approximately 10minutes of receiving the isoflurane she moved her legs
when Dr. Bonsack cleaned her skin with povidone iodine surgical scrub. I
advised that at this point we should give her an injection of local
anesthetic. He administered the local and then held the urethra open
using tweezers and made a small incision using scissors. He then
inserted the cat catheter along the sides of the stone and applied
sterile mineral oil around the stone. He then gently pushed on the back
of the stone closest to the bladder and it just slid out of the urethra
entirely intact. Using vicryl suture thread he sewed the urethra in
three places. He then turned off the isoflurane and flushed the nose
cone with oxygen. Within 10 minutes Kinjaroo was completely awake and I
applied Vick’s vapor rub to her nose. By 15 minutes she was in her
cuddle cup eating cucumber, urinating and defecating normally. She has
never shown any sings of pain. Her incision is almost completely healed
5 days post op and she has not developed an infection.
Thank you to everyone who has given me advice, prayers and encouragement
during this difficult situation. I am happy to answer any questions that
you may have.
Cheers, Ann and the rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA