[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT-introducing Holly

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Dec 10 07:42:13 EST 2008

Jaime,

I am so pleased that you are fostering little Holly. She needs all the help that she can get. How can anyone treat sweet little piggies like that?

Sadly, it is quite possible that she is pregnant, even at such a young age. Of the piggies that I posted about recently in the big RSPCA rescue, many of the sows, only babes themselves, were pregnant and I was lucky that Petunia and Peony were not. One of those that were sent on to my Rodentologists for extra care, was so tiny that her babe was pushing her up into the air to get his milk and by the time that he was weaned was much bigger than she. Both have thrived and have been rehomed to loving slaves.

I read your post about Holly just after I posted about Vitamin C and here is a case where as much Vit C as possible is needed both for Holly's health and well-being as well as that of any any possible babes.

Don't worry about the alfalfa hay. Here in England, hay is hay is hay......Every piggy slave that I know here uses bales of hay from farms or feedstores and as long as the hay is in good condition it will be fine for little Holly. What she does need are lots of good veggies and some fruit to build her up. Introduce her to a new one each day. Perhaps a few carrot slices the first day, then add some cucumber the next, then some chopped celery etc. until she has a good selection to choose from. The Piggyfriends all love cauli leaves, which is just waste from our meal and comes free with the cauli curd. Most babes learn from their mother what is good to eat so if she sees Mimi eating up her veggies, Holly will copy her. I don't suppose that you can cut some grass for your piggies as it is probably frozen but if you have the opportunity to do so, it is so good for them.

You will soon know if she is pregnant as she will begin to swell around the middle but for now, just concentrate on improving her health so that she will be able to cope with carrying babes if and when.

I'm sorry that you have health problems of your own, keeping you off work and wish you well.

Paws crossed that little Holly is not in pig and that she will grow and thrive with your special care.

Give her a hug from us all ( and Mimi too ).

Penny and the Piggyfriends.