[Gpdd] [Health] Mites

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 21 13:01:34 EST 2008

Hi all

I have seen a few posts on mites and Neem Oil.  I would hate anyone to use
this in a way that could be harmful to a piggy, so could those of you who
have used it on your pigs let us know if it can be used neat or if it needs
to be diulted in a carrier oil.

All essential oils (apart from lavender) should never be used neat as they
can burn the skin (human or animal), and so have to be diluted in a carrier
oil.  Essential oils also pass through the skin into the blood stream and
for gp's that may have cardio-vascular (heart) problems, this could be
dangerous.  Gp's who have cuts and stratches on their skin from mite
irritation would find the burn from essential oils even more painful.

Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust told me NOT to use shampoos with essential
oils in them to treat my two pigs (who had mites) for the above reasons, and
I would hate anyone to go using essential oils on their gp's if they weren't
sure how to use them -- which isn't being advised by Vedra.

I am not trying to start a debate on this subject, but am concerned for gp's
safety and owners clear understanding of something they might not as yet
have any first-hand experience of.

Can those who've used neem oil please confirm what the ratio of neat neem
oil to carrier oil should be used to help anyone else on the Digest who is
new to this treatment.

Thanks and kind regards

Carole