[Gpdd] HELP: Pregnant piggies

Tammy Hogan Tskhogank12 at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 16:21:06 EST 2008

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this mailing list for about a month now and I've enjoyed the stories and info I get from it.  But I think it's time I introduce myself because I need HELP!  First let me tell you a little about myself and situation and I apologize now for what I know will be a long post....

My name is Tammy and I live in Columbus, Ohio.  My daughter Kasey is 10 years old.  Kasey is a very loving, animal crazy kid that is extremely gentle and sensitive.  She had a pet hamster that she was VERY attached to that passed away suddenly last summer.  For her birthday in September I decided to let her get a guinea pig as she had always wanted one.  I did all the research, got her library books to read, etc.  We bought the cage and supplies and went to find our furry friend.  We chose a store that only carried female pigs separated at a young age so that the odds of getting a pregnant pig were minimal.  I guess we picked wrong because one month later, Freckles had two beautiful babies.  It was an amazing experience and we were present at the birth and enjoyed watching the babies grow.  One of the babies had a problem with its leg and I was determined to find a vet that could properly sex the pigs so that we would know if we needed to separate them at the four week mark.  I found a small animal vet online that worked with a lot of guinea pigs and traveled the 45 minutes to have her see all three (mom and babies).  Over the course of a few weeks she saw the babies three times and determined they all looked like girls.  I also studied guinea parts on the net and continually checked them and could never find anything resembling a male!  So, we decided we would keep them all.  We even made the jump to building a C&C cage...which we have yet to complete, they have been spending their days in a playpen.

Anyway, over the last few days we have noticed that Rico (baby #1) is getting HUGE and behaving much like Freckles did a few days prior to having her babies.  She is laying around, nesting, and biting her belly.  We are convinced she is looking pregnant.  We are also suspicious that Freckles is pregnant as well.  This means Callie (baby #2) must be a boy, even though I STILL cannot see anything that looks male on her/him!

So...my dilema is this.  First, I'm concerned that Rico is too young..she is only 3 months old (yesterday).  Will she be able to deliver successfully?  I currently have Rico in the original cage by herself, and Freckles and Callie are in the playpen as Freckles doesn't look as close to delivering yet.  I know that I need to get Callie away from Freckles immediately if she does deliver to prevent her from becoming pregnant again.  I guess we will end up finding Callie a new home after all.  Second, when can I reintroduce the new familes to each other?  When can Rico and her baby/babies rejoin Freckles and her baby/babies in the playpen?  Will the babies nurse off of both nursing moms or swap?  And is there anyone anywhere near Ohio on this list that can sex these new piggies properly?!!!!  Also, for those of you who have had babies and needed to separate the sexes....how soon did you do it and how did you do it.  Did you simply remove the babies and adopt them out immediately or keep them in your care until they were older even though they were away from mom?

I really appreciate any advice I can get.  I know I have a lot of questions but I just don't know where to turn anymore.  I've read every website known to man on pigs and I need experienced pig owners to come to my rescue!

Please feel free to email me off post (Tskhogank12 at columbus.rr.com)

Thanks!
Tammy